International Candidates

Staff Organisational Services - International Candidates

Welcome to Staffing Organisation Services!

Have you ever dreamed about combining your love of teaching with your love of travel? Are you looking to have a new cultural experience whilst expanding your teaching expertise? Do you want to experience life to the fullest?  Do you want to meet new friends?  Do you want to learn about another country?  Would you like to challenge yourself to live your dream?

If your answer was yes to any of these questions then we at Staffing Organisation Services can assist you in your endeavours. Your goals can become a reality when working with teachers and students from Melbourne, Australia through Staffing Organisation Services as a casual or contract teacher.

What is the Process for International Teachers?

If you express interest in teaching in Melbourne, Victoria Australia with Staffing Organisation Services, the first step is to fill out our online registration form and contact our International Consultant, Sara Clark. Having experienced the same process you’re about to embark first hand, she will be of great assistance to help answer any questions you might have along the way. You can contact Sara at to receive our International Teachers Information Package.

Victorian Institute of Teaching

VIT registers teachers working in Victorian government, Catholic and Independent schools. Like other professions occupying positions of trust and responsibility, teachers are required to be registered in order to practise their profession. All practising Victorian school teachers must be registered by the Institute. To teach in Victoria, all teachers are required to obtain teacher registration from the Victorian Institute of Teaching. The application form can be downloaded from their website or you can contact VIT direct.

Level 24, 570 Bourke Street
Victoria 3000

Mail Address:
PO Box 531
Collins Street West
Victoria 8007

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
 8:30am to 5:00pm
Phone: (03) 8601 5800
Teachers’ Hotline: 1300 888 067
Fax:(03) 8601 5801

Staff Organisational Services - International Candidates

Visas, Work Permits and Immigration Issues

Your passport, intended period of continuous employment and intended duration of stay in Australia will determine the visa you should apply for. The visa categories you may wish to consider are:

  • Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 417
    (For people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.)
  • Business Long Stay Visa – Subclass 457
  • Working & Holiday Visa – Subclass 462
    (Applicants from Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA on holiday and work visas in Australia.)

In general, if you desire flexibility, and wish to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months, then you may wish to apply for a working-holiday visa. Please note that only citizens from the arranged countries, aged between 18 – 30 are eligible to apply for this visa. The holder must not be employed in Australia by one employer for more than 6 months, in the same position and location. A period of full-time work (up to 6 months) followed by a period of holiday (two weeks), followed by a period of full-time work (Up to 6 months) for another employer, in another position and location, followed by a holiday (two weeks) is considered acceptable. A further period of full-time or part-time employment may be possible, and candidates are advised to contact the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs for advice and guidance.

Further information can be obtained at:

Business Long Stay Visa – Subclass 457

In general, if you are over 30 and/or wish to work in Australia for a continuous period, between 3 months and 4 years, then you may wish to apply for this visa. The procedure and requirement for this visa is different to the work holiday visa, “a sponsor” is required. A sponsor can be a school or a company, prepared to provide all the required undertakings. The school or company has to be an approved sponsor and formally nominate the employee – Form 1196 (Sponsorship), followed by Form 1066 (Application) will provide further information about the requirements and process. Booklet 11 and all forms can be downloaded free of charge from the DIMIA website. 

Further information can be obtained at:

Income Tax and Bank Account

A Tax File Number (TFN) can be applied for online through the Australian Taxation Office, at the following website A bank account has to be opened in person, and two forms of photo ID and an Australian address will be required.